[SunRescue] HP-UX (I know, it's not Sun) cracking.

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 27 21:29:13 CST 2000

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> It all depends on if the machine is secured or not.

Since my latest escapades, I must say "HAH!" :)

Thanks to Reagan and Mike for their excellent help on this one.  I was
having trouble getting the HP-UX machine to actually boot into single
user mode.  I would type "hpux -iS" at the ISL> prompt, and it would
think for a bit, and then drop me back at the ISL> prompt.  After
thinking about it, I realized that maybe it didn't know what disk to
boot off of (considering there's only one disk, I wasn't really giving
it the benefit of the doubt).  So, I tried "hpux -iS disc(;0)/hp-ux" and
BINGO!  Success.

So, once again, thanks to Reagan and Mike for the help.  Now, I think
I'll go type "SECURE ON" several times. :)

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com