[SunRescue] What to do now?

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 27 10:42:47 CST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Tim Harrison wrote:

> Rebecca Ore wrote:
>
> > It's taking way longer than it did.  Several other opinions were that
> > I needed to reseat the memory (newly installed, reseated now), try
> > another nvram chip, or take it in to work where some of the coworkers
> > had been adminning Sparcs for a while.  One possibility was that it
> > needed to be reset from a Sun keyboard.  Concensus was that it wasn't
> > anything obvious.
>
> If you're consoling in, did you try sending it a break signal (in kermit
> it's ctrl-\, b) when it gets to that point, or while it's POSTing?  I
> actually had a Netra T1 do this to me, and I ended up just consoling in,
> sending a break signal, and, I think, setting it to boot from the proper
> device (that wasn't the problem, but I needed to make some kind of
> change) and doing an nvramrc (IIRC).
>
> Just a thought.

I am consoling in from minicom on a intel box running RH 6.2 and I
tried sending break signals.

At this point, I'm still waiting for a working 50 pin scsi hard drive.
The one that was in it appeared to be really non-functioning, though I
could get the installation programs for NetBSD and OpenBSD to find it
after resetting jumpers.

One of my uberbosses said just get a new Sparc1+.  The guy who gave me
this one didn't have another one, but one of the other guys at work
says we might have some in the basement.

My supervisor suggested when I was having trouble with the hard drive
that I should bring it in to him.

I let it sit in the banner display for about a half hour or so without
any further life.

Other things I've done: reseat all the memory chips, pull the NVRAM
and see if it would get further that way, leave it off overnight.

The light at the front of the box comes on briefly when I turn it on,
but doesn't stay on.  Is that normal?

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net