[SunRescue] I could run a small country...

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 25 20:12:13 CST 2000

Kurt,

I've found that Habaneros (the Santaaca variety) are great for turning up
the heat in my three meat chili. I use 5 lbs of Beef tenderloin cubes, 5 lbs
of pork tenderloin cubes, and 5 lbs of shredded chicken, then I add two
ropes of sliced chorico (a spicy sausage), simmer all of that together with
olive oil in the bottom of the 5 gallon chili kettle till the meat is brown
and sealed, and add two crushed cloves of garlic, and between two and six
crushed dry roasted de-stemmed santaaca peppers (depending on how hot you
want), 1 tablespoon of cumin, one of turmeric, one of mustard seed, one of
rosemary, one of thyme, one of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of pepper,  4 tabelspoons
of salt, 4 tablespoons of onion powder, 1/2 cup of vinegar, and 2 64 ounce
cans of tomato paste. Then you top up the rest of the kettle with water
leaving enough room to simmer.

Simmer for at least six hours, preferably 8-12, but dont let the chili get
too thick. Add water if necessary. When done the meat should be competely
disintegrated. Be sure to mix up some more of the spice mixture, so you can
season to taste towards the end of the simmering.

Of course this dish serves about 20 to 40 people depending on appetite. The
only problem is that it doesn't scale down too well. I have made batches as
small as one gallon, but that is the absolute lower limit.

Chris Byrne