[SunRescue] I could run a small country...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 23 04:43:53 CST 2000

> > Ultra 60
> > Dual 360Mhz/4Mb-cache CPUs
> > 1G RAM
> > dual 9G FW/LVD HDs
> >
> > If *you* had such a box, what would you do with it? 8-)
> >
> > (I need good suggestions.. I'm tired of running RC5/SETI...)

Help solve the 8 Queens problem for absurdly large boardsizes.  I've got
nonexhaustive (but representative) solution sets up to 3500x3500 so far
using a genetic algorithm, but there shouldn't be a real limit.
Exhaustive solution sets are a much larger pain (O(6^N) or so).

Or if you want to have useful fun, try to solve problems using neural
nets.  Got one going now that trains in about a week between 16 450MHz
UltraSparc CPU's (gradient backpropagation, 16-way annealing).  Figures
out clothing fashionability, of all things.

-James