[SunRescue] Openboot disc spin-up

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 21 10:57:05 CST 2000

>>Does anyone know of a way to spin up SCSI discs using commands from
>>OpenBoot? The SCSI discs attached to a SS10 (running Solaris 7) are
>>configured to spin on start command (I've done this just to be on
>>the safe side to allow PSUs to settle before the discs suck a large
>>current to spin-up). Trouble is when I try a resume from cold the
>>discs don't spin up. Solaris comes up again OK, but any disc access
>>hangs the machine. Perhaps cpr resume behaviour can be changed?

IIRC the only times that I've done this a probe-scsi from the OK> prompt
usually caused them to start spinning up. YMMV though.

There _might_ be a patch for this on Sunsolve.  If you can't get the patch
directly please let me know and I'll download a patch for you and mail it to
you off list.

Mike Hebel