[SunRescue] That maddening cycle...

Stefan Hames rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 21 07:08:00 CST 2000

>Remember when MS pumped millions into Apple?  Who's next?  Maybe Sun
>will
>contribute a few million.  I'd hate to see them go, their computers
>are
>certainly some of the most sexy looking computers out there - and
>work great
>too!

Well, actually Apple has several billions of dollars of cash in hand
and in short term investments - rather more than most companies' net
worth. The millions "pumped" into Apple were actually part of an
out-of-court settlement of a patent infringement suit.  The money in
question, $150 million, is about six months worth of the $300-400
million Microsoft makes annually off the Mac market alone.  Further,
within twelve months the investment was worth about six times the
original $150 million for a net gain of..... three-quarters of a
billion dollars!  Far from pumping money in to save Apple, MS settled
a dispute and made tons of bucks on it.   Microsoft in no way saved
Apple - that money was literally a fart in a wind storm.  Remember
Apple just split its stock, and is profitable for at least the last
ten quarters, including this one. Maybe Sun should invest in Apple
too, but for their sake, not for Apple's.

I do agree that they make some cool computers, tho'.  It will really
help their future if they finally pull off MacOS X.  I can't wait for
a 2 CPU 500 mHz box with SMP  at a relatively low price.  Woohoo!

Stefan
Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (home)
        607-254-2496 (lab)
        607-254-4262 (campus)
        607-255-8088 (fax)