[SunRescue] DPT SmartRAID IV

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 18 23:44:25 CST 2000

All,

I managed to pickup a DPT SmartRAID IV for less than $100 in an auction the
other day, and I was wondering if anyone knows about driver support for the
thing. According to Adaptec (who bought DPT) it is supported by all versions
of Solaris from 2.1 on, but they don't specify if that's just for x86 or
not. All of the other OS's they support are x86 except AIX, for which it is
also non-specific about which platforms it supports.

Does anyone know if this card is compatible with, and drivers are available
for, Solaris 8 for SPARC?

If not It'll make a great PC raid card since I have a couple of 32 meg simms
lying around I can use for cache, and a bunch of unused mid sized SCSI
drives. I also have an unused full tower case with a 450 watt power supply,
12 drive bays, and a P3 750 with 512megs of ram that is just waiting to
become a NAS server for my home network. Samba and NFS are your friends, as
long as you have a good firewall.

Of course then I'd need to get a new backup system for the storage server,
maybe a nice DLT juskebox... My GOD will the maddening cycle never end,
ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Chris Byrne