[SunRescue] Sun 4/330 LEDs

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 16 13:00:51 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Garten, David N., CTR, OSD/P&R wrote:

> 	I've got a 4/330 warming my basement.  I'm trying to understand
> the backplane.  I dropped a 4/6xx (501-2055?) in there and it runs AOK,
> but it doesn't see the 4Meg shorty (3U?) memory cards.  The 330 board
> sees them just fine.  ????  VME has got my goat...

> 	I'm lurking for a 4/6xx memory card (512MB or bust!) but I
> haven't been too aggressive since I don't know if I can strap it in the
> 330 chassis (or my 4/110 box) and get the moboard to see it.  And I'm
> curious about the 6U slots.  What are they intended to support?

You would need a private P2 bus between a pair of 9U slot pairs to use the
4/600 and memory expansion board simultaneously.  The 4/x30 doesn't meet
this requirement, but the larger chassis do (I like the x50 series myself,
6 9U VME slots in a case the size of the x30).

That said, the 4/600 board can support 512MB onboard with 32 16MB SIMMs.

> 	I tried setting the disk to SCSI 3 with no response.  I'm too
> poorly edumacated to mod that in the PROM from the console.  I have to
> wait till it bombs on disk and then manually boot from SCSI0(>b
> sd(0,0,0)).

What version of OBP do you have?  Are you trying to boot the 4/300 or
4/600?  The boot syntax is quite different.

-James