[SunRescue] [newbie] Which floppy drive on Classic ?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 15 14:57:57 CST 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Bruno Perea wrote:

> Just because I want to install an unix-like OS on this Classic and
> the internal  hard drive is blank. This machine is a stand alone (no
> network here) so I thought the best way to format the hard disk and
> try to install something in it was to use a floppy drive. Am'I wrong ?

The easiest way is to install a CDROM drive and boot off of that, if you
have CD boot media.  Sun never shipped OS installation media on floppy
(except for the 386i).

> Well another question : can I install an old SCSI cdrom on it ? What
> is the configuration needed in open boot ?

None.  Set CDROM drive to ID #6 and the OBP alias for CDROM will work
automatically.  Some OS and OBP firmware combinations will require that
you use a CDROM drive with a default sector size of 512 bytes (most common
is 2048).  These are inexpensive on the used market if you can be
satisfied with a slow drive.

What specifically are you trying to install?

-James