[SunRescue] [newbie] Which floppy drive on Classic ?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 15 14:19:00 CST 2000

I know from experience that a PC floppy won't work easily - I think you can
get it to work with modification but that's a different story.

You'll probably have to find a Sun floppy drive on-line somewhere.
http://sunhelp.org has links to hardware resellers. (As of this writing
E-Bay currently only has a floppy for a SPARCstation model 10 and up.  YMMV)
It might be just as cheap to buy another IPX that has a floppy included.
Check around.

You might want to just boot from a SCSI CD-Rom drive.  If you're installing
Solaris or Debian or RedHat this should be easy to do.  Especially if you
bought/downloaded a full ISO copy of the software.

1)Make sure the CD-Rom drive is set to SCSI ID 6.
2)Make sure the CD is in the CD-Rom drive.
3)At the OK> prompt type "boot cdrom" (obviously without the quotes).
4)From there the installation software, in whatever form, should take over.

Let us know what problems, if any, you encounter.  I'm sure someone here can
walk you through this.

Mike Hebel