[SunRescue] Modern blue/grey deskside HD storage cabinet... what is it?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 15 13:34:28 CST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> I saw in our surplus pit today, a deskside storage cabinet (blue/grey thing
> with the drop down front half-door), and I was expecting it to be a 4/xxx
> of some sort.  It turned out to be only an HD system.  Like a fool, I did
> not write down the part number on the back, but I think it was a 595-xxx-xxx
> series thing.  The cabinet has two HD50 scsi connectors like modern Sun
> boxes of the same color.  Anyone have any sort of idea as to what kinds
> of HD's are likely to actually be in this monster?  I saw 3 rows of 3
> fans on the backside, so I am assuming it probably has several drive
> bays inside.  Any insights as to what it might contain are appreciated.

If it was a SCSI chassis and had a similar look to a 4/x70, it was
probably a SCSI Expansion Pedestal (shipped as X750/754/756).  Room for 8
5.25" FH drives (on 2 trays), they came stock with 1.3GB Seagate drives
and sometimes an Exabyte 8mm drive.  800W p/s.

Be warned that most of these units shipped with only one tray, and you
have to resort to creative mounting to hold more than 4 drives without a
second tray.

-James