[SunRescue] Bit Error in TOD Clock

Harry Regan rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 14 15:40:51 CST 2000

Grrr.  I've got a pair of IPXen in which I've just replaced the NVRAM chips
with new units from Mouser Electronics-- right part number, right speed, I've
done this a zillion times before, but...

After reprograming the chips for the correct configuration and HOSTID and mac
address, etc., when I reboot these guys, both machines report a "bit error" in
the TOD Clock and blow back to the prom with a "replace the NVRAM chip" type
message.  If you then go to an OK prompt and boot 'em, they boot fine-- just
not from a reset or a power cycle.  Once in Solaris 7, the date and time are
correct and the machines keep proper time even when powered off, so the clock
IS working.

I've reset the NVRAM checksum by several different techniques, I've followed
the "tod clock kickstart" procedure in the NVRAM FAQ, but no success.  If I
pull a working NVRAM chip from another machine and plug it in, they work jus'
fine, thank you.

Are these chips flukey?  Is there a process I'm missing in resetting the
clock?  Is there a way to get the machine to boot directly to the default
device even though they're reporting an error with the tod clock on
reset/power up?

(Note: I had a similar problem like this on an IPC a year or so back, but the
problem went away the first time it was booted into Solaris.  That did not
work in this case...)

---- Harry J. Regan
---- Phone: 202.310.2719
---- FAX: 212.202.3923