[SunRescue] Killing Processes [Was: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #773 - 16 msgs]

Stefan Skoglund rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 12 11:39:16 CST 2000

Mike Hebel wrote:

> Actually no flames are necessary from me.  You've just explained to me why I
> can't remove a passal of Zombie processes from our server here at work.  Now
> I just have to find out what's not responding that keeps the Zombies from
> shutting down.  Thanks!

Signal processing in classic UNIX (which solaris is) occurs at begin-of
or
end-of syscall processing or in the middle of user-mode processing ie a
trap !

If the process is blocked while in kernel-mode no signal will affect it
!!

zombie processes is hanged because its parent or step-parent hasn't
picked
up the end-of run information.

Check out the PPID (ps aux) field for zombies.