[SunRescue] PPTP / VPN stuff

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 8 19:57:53 CST 2000

Bill,

Okay Al Potter and I are both security architects as I think you know. The
first question  I need to ask is what is their budget? Because PGP sells a
pretty ok security suite that includes a VPN client for about $100 a seat.
That will only work however if they have no firewall, or a firewall that
will allow direct connection to the machines, either of which indicates they
have bigger problems then needing a vpn client.

If they have a somewhat bigger budget I have a netscreen 10 that I'm
selling, and there is a software VPN client for it that supports Windows,
Mac, and now even Linux and solaris.

You could in theory do this using PGPNet and a linux or BSD firewall, but it
requires a license at $79 a seat for commercial purposes. You could also use
opensource software (FreeSwan,etc...) to create point to point VPN's on
linux or BSD boxes, but that would require a linux box at everyones house.

There are lots of options, I'd be happy to spend a bit of time talking with
you, and/or your friends about them

Chris Byrne
Founder
Secure Defense