[SunRescue] PPTP / VPN stuff

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 8 16:56:27 CST 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 01:53:42PM -0800, Eric Ozrelic wrote:
> > Microsoft's solution sucks, and isn't very fast, but it is free.
>
> It is?  So far I can only see that Win2K Server does it, and thats
> like $1199...  The clients are free, tho.

two free solutions...

http://poptop.lineo.com/

this is a PPTP server. I have used this successfully under Linux for two
or three systems.

claims to run under solaris, freedbsd, openbsd too

http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/cipe.html

this is a kernel module for Linux. Also ported to Windows, and I have
heard noises about possible ports to other platforms but don't know if any
are going ahead.

I've used the Linux module on both intel & sparc, and it seems to
work very well.

PPTP would probably be best for intermittent clients, and cipe for largely
permanent (eg, inter-site) connections.

If you use PPTP, you ought to be aware of the secuirity issues (by
design) which it has. Search phrack for info on that.

d.