[SunRescue] Ok...newbie question...

Maarten Deen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 8 08:15:04 CST 2000

Kurt Huhn:

> If my windows box did such a good job as a terminal, why am I using a
> Sparcstation10 for that purpose?  Better yet, why did I suffer
> through an SSH compile and install?  Of course the box does more than
> that.  For real work, the sparcstation does a great job - while the
> Win2K laptop is used mostly for web surfing, email, and listening to
> MP3s.  I suppose that the sparcstation could do all that if I decided
> to let CDE run (which I don't).
>
> *snort*.....Fancy dumb terminal indeed...

Yeah? But it's *MS Windows*!

This reminds me. A friend of mine worked at Albert Heyn, a supermarket chain
in the Netherlands. They used vt220s to connect to their inventory system.
One day, they upgraded it. All vt220s were replaced. You can guess with
what. No, it wasn't a vt320, nor a vt420 or even a 520! No, all dumb
terminals were replaced with... a PC running windows and a terminal program.

Not eat _that_ for your upgrade path!

> I suppose it's a matter of preference.  I simply prefer to use the
> Sparc.

Maarten

--
I have it on good authority that the VAX 11/730 was built solely for
misdirection, thus sending the Russians in a bad direction, with the