[SunRescue] NetBSD v. Linux v. Solaris 2.51

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 6 22:08:51 CST 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:29:41PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> In fact if you're at all interested in graphics, and colour graphics to
> be specific, any random desktop PC with a PCI or AGP bus, and a decent
> graphics card in it with enough RAM, is going to blow the doors off
> anything you could possibly dream of doing even on an SS2, let alone an
> SS1+, even if you have only a cheap 166MHz Pentium or so.  Except for
> the monitor you could build a decent PC for running *BSD and X for
> around $200 or less (I just saw $40[cdn] AGP 16MB SVGA cards in one of
> our local junk shops, and complete P166's for $150[cdn] -- the only
> trick is finding a cheap system *with* AGP, and that's not hard either).

Unless you're a really picky hardcore 3D gamer, you dont even need AGP.
One of my FAVORITE video cards to put in a PC is a Matrox Millenium 4mb
PCI - I have 3 of them here for when I need a good 2D card.

In my 700Mhz AMD gaming machine, I have a 3Dfx Voodoo 3/3000 PCI card,
and it works just fine.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford