[SunRescue] Sun 2 Question

geoff koehler rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 4 21:37:36 CST 2000

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:24:57PM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Does anyone besides me remember Dave Case, who lived in Aptos or Capitola or
> > one of those towns just South of Santa Cruz, CA?  He had a medium-sized
> > building full of old Suns, NeXTs, coffee-table sized disk drives,
> > motorcycles, and I don't know what all.....
> > -Shel
>
> sale at case.com!  What memories.
>
> >From what I heard, he basically got tired of it all, garage-sold most of
> it, gave the rest away or junked it, and moved / got out of the computer
> hobby/business.

> Friend of mine here in Austin who was from Santa Cruz told me of seeing
> older SGI (4D-series and 3000s) machines sitting out in the rain at
> Dave's place, after he gave up on it all.

I knew Dave Case briefly when I was living in Santa Cruz.  Dave told me
he was finding it harder and harder to compete, and as Bill says, one
day he just got fed up and tired of it all and had a big garage sale.  I
remember helping him clean out his apartment.  It was on the second
story of a building in Aptos.  Basically we heaved out most of the older
stuff ( BIIG disk drives and old IRIS parts, sun 3 stuff, 4/110's, HP
9000's, and stuff I didnt recognise from his second floor apartment
second floor into the bed of an old pickup in the parking lot below.  He
had *alot* of old stuff.  And yes, there were a few 4D machines left out
in the rain after it was all over, along with a 4/470 or two.......
--
Cheers,
	Geoff.

/----------------------------------\