[SunRescue] Various Maspar Questions

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 3 12:33:48 CST 2000

Heya all, rather then reply seperately to all of the emails I'm gonna
try to do it in one :)

>   2. Re: Maspar & DEC (Patrick Giagnocavo)
>   3. RE: Maspar & DEC (Christopher Byrne)
>   6. Re: Maspar & DEC (Paul Theodoropoulos)
>   7. Re: Maspar & DEC (Bill Bradford)
>   9. Re: Maspar & DEC (Mike Meredith)

>Mike that sounds very cool!  How many processors does your MP-1 have?
>
>Specs I read about on 16384 procs is 26000MIPS and 580Mflops double
>precision.  Pretty zippy even by today's standards.
>
>Cordially
>
>Patrick

This one seems like a very low-end model so I think it'll have the
minimum of 1024 procescors which is still neat. The shipping company
has not delivered it yet so I don't really know.

>Mike,
>
>I saw that Maspar on there, what posessed you to bid my friend? Just
the
>coolness of having a supercomputer or the desire to have an excuse to
hunt
>down yet more supposedly obsolete computer parts ;-)
>
>Crhsi Byrne

Um, I don't really know why I bid. I guess just the coolness of having
my own supercomputer. And the challenge of getting it up and working.

>wow! $66.00 for a device with up to 16K processors. who'd have
>thunk it. any idea what one of these baby's cost new?

I saw 1.5million new in 1990 on one site, I assume that is for the 16k
processor version. I also saw $70,000 in 1992 from Maspar for the MP-
1s. this is after they introduced the MP-2s. I assume that is for the
1k processor model.

>On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 03:00:34PM -0800, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
>> wow! $66.00 for a device with up to 16K processors. who'd have
>> thunk it. any idea what one of these baby's cost new?
>
>Anybody got a picture?
>
>Bill

I've got several:

http;//www.hammycorp.com/maspar.html