[SunRescue] Sun 2 Question

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 1 22:44:16 CST 2000

   The 2/50 and 2/120 are the most common units. The 2/170 (large rackmount
Multibus) was rare to begin with, and the larger VME units (2/130, 2/160)
were virtually all upgraded to Sun-3's. Of course, you can always create
your own by getting a 2/50 and sticking it in a larger VME cage.

   Advantages of Multibus units (i.e. the 2/120): um...

   Advantages of VME units (i.e. the 2/50): if your doesn't have SCSI, you
can probably find a Sun-2 VME SCSI card to use with it one way or another.
There are other VME cards that will work with it too, such as the cgtwo
and the xy451.

   Disadvantages of the Multibus units: whatever parts you have are
probably the only ones you'll ever see at this point.

   Disadvantages of the VME units: um...

   As much as I like my 2/120's and want to get them back online, for
somebody new to Sun-2's the VME units have an overwhelming advantage in
that you can still find people with piles of potentially useful VME boards
who are willing to part with them.

   --James B.