[SunRescue] Sparc 2, Linux and ethernet

nick at snowman.net nick at snowman.net
Thu Aug 17 12:19:18 CDT 2000

I'll have to disagree with that (somewhat).  You're right about the PCI
bus, but it's only burst.  (spec is PCI will burst to 133MB/s, just a
hair over gigabit)  However all 4port cards I've dealt with (mostly the
newer adaptec starfire) use 64bit pci, and sometimes even 66mhz, which
kicks you up to ~500MB/s.  This is enought for Lots (tm) of 100Mbits
ports.  I have gotten in the mid to low 90Mbits/second going between a
pair of PII's using 3C905's, so I don't doubt if you mucked with things
and elimitated tcp ip and other overheads you could get VERY close to
100Mbits.  As a side note, most cisco routers and switches (C3524 as an
example, a 24port 10/100, 2port 1000 switch) have pci.  It's not obvious,
and you can't stick in pci cards, but the bus is still pci.
	Nick
PS, how much do ppl here know about gigabit?  I can't get mine to go over
300Mbits/s