[SunRescue] Sparc 2, Linux and ethernet

GregoryLeblancGLeblanc at cu-portland.edu GregoryLeblancGLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Aug 17 12:01:09 CDT 2000

I just did the math real quick here.
32-bits times 33MHz yeilds a throughput of 132MB/sec.
12 ports at 100Mbit yeilds a throughput of 150MB/sec.

So, uhm, those had best not be all 100MBit ports.  I doubt that you can get
even 100MBit from a standard P-II/III motherboard, probably much less with
older boards.  Not that you'll be using that much bandwidth, but that's
certainly more than it can handle.  That's probably why none of the
commercial switches/routers use PCI.  :-)
	Greg