[SunRescue] dsl advice

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Aug 9 13:47:03 CDT 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, BSD Bob the old greybead BSD freak wrote:

> Are there any security issues in using Redhat vs Openbsd for this particular
> kind of gateway application?
>
> Bob

Depends how much work you want to do =)

OpenBSD ships in a safe state, I think the NAT might take a little
work, but you don't really need to worry about hardening OpenBSD.
Red Hat ships WIDE open.  But that is fixable.

I myself prefer Debian GNU/Linux.  The package management is
spectacular.  You think Red Hat does package management, but
compared to Debian, they DON'T =)

I was able to throw a Debian Sparc install on an IPC with a 207 meg
drive and have 45 meg free.  And that's even with the fact that I
gave Linux 50 meg of swap =)

--Kurt