[SunRescue] dsl advice

KurtMosiejczukkurt at csh.rit.edu KurtMosiejczukkurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Aug 9 13:35:03 CDT 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, BSD Bob the old greybead BSD freak wrote:

> Are there any issues with machine speed in using an older sparc as a
> gateway?  I was thinking of doing something similar, and have available
> things like an IPX or an SS2, or maybe a DEC 3000 that I could use.
> What are the pros and cons of using older slower equipment as gateways
> for the home net, at the usual home connect speeds one is likely to get
> these days?
>
> Bob

You should be plenty fine with an IPX or SS2.  I have an IPC that's
running Linux (not the popular choice, I know) and is the firewall
for a friend's cable modem.  It runs like a champ, and the constraint
has always been the server at the other end.

The real trick is getting the extra network card.  If anyone has any
extra SBus ether cards, let me know, cause I'm looking for a couple.
I've gotten a couple requests from people to set them up an IPX
firewall =)

--Kurt