Re(2): [SunRescue] The latest haul 8-)

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Sep 16 13:15:50 CDT 1999

> On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 01:28:58PM -0500, Tim Hauber wrote:
> > rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
> > >So, what have other out there squeezed into their respective vehicles?
> > >I'm in similar shape as Bill, as I've got a Geo Tracker (quite similar to
> > >his Kia), and I've had it stuffed to pushing the headliner up full of Sun
> > >and HP equipment more times then my wife would want to know...
>
> My Kia is the 2WD 4-door... The question is, how many of you bought your
> vehicle with the intention/purpose of using it to haul computer stuff around? 8-)

My Tracker is 4WD 4-door, and yes, it was bought with the intention of
hauling computers around (or at least that was my interest, it's actually
the wife's vehicle).

Now, when I get *serious*, I borrow my father's '95 Astro extended
van...Pull out the seats, and you can pack a ton of stuff in.  It took 1 &
1/2 loads to move my computer room from the rental to the house I just got a
while back :)

And that IBM AS/400 rack fit in real nicely...

If it comes down to it, there's always my father's other vehicle, his '98
GMC 4wd truck...

> (Amy got tired of me filling up her car with computer equipment...)
>
> I got five IBM PC RT towers along with 2 monitors each, keyboards,
> extra tape drives, etc, into the back of a Pontiac Firebird ('87).
> Dont ask how, I still dont know myself.  What hurt was when I had to slam on the brakes and the wheelied dolly ion top of all the equipment slid forward and
> whacked me in the back of the head...ow.

My daily driver is an '88 Honda Prelude (less legroom in the back then the
Firebird, I'm sure...).  I used to *regularly* move quantities of 21"
monitors and workstations around in that for work until the dock guys saw
it, took pity on me, and lent me the keys to one of their vans from there on
out :)  A couple of us loaded that Econoline van out floor to ceiling front
to back with salvaged equipment from a "graveyard" that my former employer
had at a large warehouse that we leased cheep.

Let's see, the typical load in the Prelude was 3 monitors across the back,
2 in the passenger's seat(one on the seat, one balanced between said seat
& window, and quite wedged), and a stack of workstations in the trunk
(typically 4-5).

The tricky thing here is that the Prelude is a 2+2, and the front seat
*just* barely swings far enough for a Digital VRT19-DA to squeeze by into
the back seat.  We even took a IBM POWERServer 590 box home one weekend in
the back of the Prelude, it was even trickier to fit in and resulted in a
torn door padding and some serious creeks and groans on those of us doing
the moving.  On the other hand, it meant that me & my roommate at the time
got to work from home for a week, so I guess it was worth it :)

Hey, in the end, at least my wife's stopped groaning everytime I roll in
with a carful...Speaking of which, anyone want a pair of ELCs?  They've got
decent tubes but blown IDPROMs and no memory.  I've given one away to a
couple of local high school kids (whose other boxen were Sun 386i's, so I
guess the ELC was an upgrade...), and the other 2 are still left.  I could
probably scrounge up a type 4 keyboard to go with each as well, but no mice,
sorry...Located in Northeast Ohio.

Chris

--
Chris Petersen