[SunRescue] HOW useful 690/MP

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 13 13:30:48 CDT 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Jeff Stuesse wrote:
>Will  the 690/mp run solaris 2.6 or better.
>are the very useful? are the VME bus etc?
>I have a few sitting in a warehouse.

  I find them extremely useful.  Think of the 4/600 as a SPARCstation-10 with a
VME interface.

  They'll run Solaris (see the archives of this list for what versions are
supported; I'm a BSD guy and don't run Solaris), NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Sparc/Linux, and SunOS4.

  The best thing about the 4/600 family is that they're extremely flexible.
You can run them in a 3-slot VME chassis (a-la 4/110 box) for a tiny system, or
a big honking 16-slot 4/690 chassis with lots of rack space.  If you're using
it one day and decide it's too slow, you can get better/faster processor
modules and plug them in without changing anything else.

  What great machines.  Easily Sun's best server design in my opinion.  And,
properly configured, they're FAST, FAST, FAST!!

                        -Dave McGuire