Re(2): [SunRescue] sun4/110 and ancient monitor

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Mon Sep 13 09:34:15 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>Bear in mind that Sun and SGI wire their 13W3 cables slightly differently,
>as apparently do all vendors who use it.  Or at least, that's what I read
>at http://www.monitorworld.com/Cables/video_standards.html.  The three
>mini-coax pins are common, but that's where the similarities end...
>
>--Jeff

Oh fun, I bastardized my own cable by cutting an apple 13w3 in half and
splicing 5 BNC connectors in.  Does anyone have any documentation on the
different 13w3 implementations?  I was thinking the monitor couldn't keep
up, but maybe it is a cable issue.  Of course my wiring pattern should
have ended up with the right connections anyway, I used a sun 13w3 to HD15
pigtail, and an HD15 to 5BNC cable, and just wired my cobble job to match,
so I should have eliminated any Apple quirks.

By the way, I'm not a monitor guy, but this cable "works" except I get two
images of the screen side by side, am I right in assuming the monitor has
synced to half the horizontal frequency?  It appears I am getting two
scans accross the screen, but there don't appear to be any visible
retrace, which I would have expected.  The monitor isn't known good, and I
haven't tried it with my peecee because it has to be manually synced, and
it's a nuisance to take it apart and tweak it.

Tim

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....