[SunRescue] Help booting 64bit kernel on an Ultra

j. grubman jg at false.net
Tue Sep 7 17:53:02 CDT 1999

> Anybody else noticed that an Ultra 1/140 puts off a LOT of heat?  I mean,
> I could keep my coffee warm next to the CPU... considering I've only
> got a 4.5gig HD and two 64mb DIMMs in here, along with a CG6, I'm really
> surprised at how much hot air it puts out (more than a ss10 with dual
> 150mhz HyperSPARCs and a ZX..)

My 1/170 w/ two 9 gig drives and a creator is exponentially cooler than
my old SS20 w/ dual HS 150's and the same disks. My bedroom was noticably
cooler after getting rid of the SS20.

Does your 140 have a fan (mine does)? For whatever engieering/design reason,
Sun stopped using fans on the Ultra1 processors towards the end of production.
I'm not sure if that fact has any bearing on how much heat they put out...

-josh

---
joshua grubman
http://sarcastic.net