[SunRescue] Help booting 64bit kernel on an Ultra

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Tue Sep 7 18:02:57 CDT 1999

What bearing could a fan possibly have on how much heat a processor
produces?  It might effect how well that heat is dissipated, but produced?
Now, towards the end of a production run, they might have gotten smaller die
sizes (via smaller transistors) which could reduce heat, but Sun doesn't
make as big a deal of technical details on processor production as Intel
does.  On heat on the SS20s, I would expect the SuperSparcs (I or II) to be
much hotter than the HS because of the huge  (and HOT) cache controllers on
these.  I can only assume that the HS don't have such large cache
controllers, since they are able to put two HS into a single MBUS slot,
where the SS chips can't do that (too big).  Anyway, just my two pence...
	Greg