[SunRescue] Help booting 64bit kernel on an Ultra

andrew m hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Sun Sep 5 12:31:45 CDT 1999

If you're running on an Ultra 1, 2, 450, or other Ultra Enterprise system,
you *may* need a flash PROM upgrade.  Reference the following on
docs.sun.com for a version chart and upgrade instructions:

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.28.15/SPARCHW/@Ab2PageView/5959?

(that's the Solaris 7 Sun Hardware Platform Guide)

Once your PROM is updated, you should be able to run the kernel in 64-bit
mode.

Beware, however, there is a bug in the UltraSPARC-I (or at least some
versions of it, I want to say only 143MHz?) which causes the CPU to hang
upon executing a particular series of instructions -- this occurs only
when operating in 64-bit mode.  My recollection is that this code sequence
is very, very unlikely to occur in normal operation; it's really something
that might be tickled maliciously by someone.  It was all over BUGTRAQ a
couple years or so ago.

If I stumble across more details on this one, I'll post them to the
list... I can't seem to find anything in SunSolve right off the bat.

-andrew
--
Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
                -- Anatole France