[SunRescue] Memory for Ultra 5

andrew m hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Fri Sep 3 19:35:52 CDT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Martin Frost wrote:

> Does anyone know the exact details of the memory required for
> an Ultra 5 (270MHz model)?

According to the Sun FE handbook, they are 3.3V ECC 60ns DIMMs (50ns is
supported with UltraSPARC IIi >= 360MHz and system board 375-0066 or
375-0079).

I'm afraid I can't find any reference as to whether it should be buffered
or unbuffered, but I have a vague memory that unbuffered is typically
required for multiprocessor boxes (in the PC world that is)... I know one
guy with a quad PPRO motherboard who killed his memory by using buffered
instead of unbuffered DIMMs.  Might have been something unrelated, but who
knows.

Let me know if you need Sun part numbers on that stuff, if it helps any...

-andrew
--
Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
                -- Anatole France