[SunRescue] Memory for Ultra 5

Cyrus M. Reed cmreed at cc.wwu.edu
Sat Sep 4 01:38:18 CDT 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, andrew m hoerter wrote:
> I'm afraid I can't find any reference as to whether it should be buffered
> or unbuffered, but I have a vague memory that unbuffered is typically
> required for multiprocessor boxes (in the PC world that is)... I know one
> guy with a quad PPRO motherboard who killed his memory by using buffered
> instead of unbuffered DIMMs.  Might have been something unrelated, but who
> knows.

My dual PPro motherboard actually requires /buffered/ memory, so you might
want to be careful.  I have no idea what is more prevalent for
multiprocessor machines, but in any case you probably want to be sure
which kind of memory your particular machine requires (Alas, I don't know
what the Ultra 5 uses). No one wants to fry their new 128MB DIMM's. ;)

-Cyrus