[SunRescue] The latest haul 8-)

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Thu Sep 16 16:09:01 CDT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Gregg Mackenzie wrote:

> Probably 'cuz AIX was built by ex-mainframers, most of whom
> begrudgingly learned unix because they had to, and the
> mainframe-iness shows in things like the SMIT interface and
> the fact that AIX forces you to use a journaling filesystem,
> regardless of whether you want to or not.  I can see where
> it'd be kinda hard to put your finger on just what the heck
> it is that bugs you about AIX unless you've ever used an IBM
> mainframe or mid-range.  It's a pretty solid OS, but I found
> all the subtle little mainframe-ey quirks to be really annoying.

This probably explains why I like it so much.  I came from a S/370
background, and all of the features that IBM crammed into AIX to let you
do things without downtime are extremely helpful.  Being able to get a
real HSM system is very nice as well.

AIX 4 is much better than AIX 3 with regards to being a "standard" unix.
Both have their quirks, but AIX 4 is easier for the novice admin to pick
up.

jfs is good.  The AIX LVM is extremely good.  All of these things I
consider plusses.

-James