Serial rates on the IPX (Was: Re: [SunRescue] Secondary Ethernet for IPX)

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 30 23:46:56 CST 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Yes, provided the DIN <-> DB-25 cable has the correct pin outs.
> Unfortunately, I'm using a cable designed for a Macintosh, and I really
> don't have a way to verify that all the pins connect or even connect to
> the right pins. I do know that I can use it as a serial cable, with most
> of the RS-232 signals there.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice that this thread was about the IPX (the SS2 and
similar are trivial). Here are the pinouts:

1 DTR
2 CTS
3 TD
4 GND
5 RD
6 RTS
7 DCD
8 RC

The FE handbook notes that adapter cable 530-1816-01 is necessary for
synchronous operation, and that pin 2 is then used for TC.  Unfortunately
I don't know the wiring of the cable.  Note also that only ttya can run in
synchronous mode.

It might be easier to just find an entire Sparc 2 or similar, they have a
more standard setup (TC is 15, RC is 17).  I've been selling SS2's with
32MB RAM for $45/ea when I have them in, I'm sure you could find a
comparable deal.

-James