Serial rates on the IPX (Was: Re: [SunRescue] Secondary Ethernet for IPX)

Kris Kirby kris at hiwaay.net
Tue Nov 30 23:25:40 CST 1999

James Lockwood wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Kris Kirby wrote:
>
> > Yes, this would seem to be the *right* answer, but in my application,
> > I'm going to need to produce the clock signals and it would *really*
> > help to know what pin I need to send it in on. :-)
>
> If you know about synchronous serial communication, you should already
> know the various EIA pinout standards and how to interface to them.  Sun
> uses very standard pinouts.

Yes, provided the DIN <-> DB-25 cable has the correct pin outs.
Unfortunately, I'm using a cable designed for a Macintosh, and I really
don't have a way to verify that all the pins connect or even connect to
the right pins. I do know that I can use it as a serial cable, with most
of the RS-232 signals there.

> What are you trying to interface?  Unless it's a completely homebuilt
> device, don't expect to be able to interface an arbitrary async serial
> device synchronously.

Well, one could consider it a home-built device. It's a 56 Kbps RF
modem, which needs TX and RX data, as well as a clock. From this
standpoint, it seems to me that a clock will need to be built and
provided to both the modem and the IPX.
--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
<kris at nospam.hiwaay.net>