[SunRescue] Solaris 2.6 - more stupid questions :-)

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 11:28:39 CDT 1999

Thanks to all who helped me with my DNS problems.  Hope you don't mind
helping me with a couple of other things ...

First off, my machine came with Solaris 2.6 pre-installed and no media.
And no manpages.  Any idea where I can download a complete set?  I
don't really want to copy them from one of my Linuxen or my SGI cos
that'll just confuse me when the Sun versions of the tools have
different cmdline switches.

And, I'm having _real_ problems with X and rsh.  I generally use a PC
running NT for my display, with Starnet's X-Win32 X server.  Using
that, I can display apps running on my Linuxes or my SGI, but can't
persuade it to start a session to the Sun box.  If I telnet to the Sun
box and set my DISPLAY variable correctly (or use -display), everything
gets sent to the NT display properly.  With X-Win32, you tell it what
machine to use, how to connect, who to connect as, and what to run.
I've told it to connect using rsh, and to run:
   /usr/openwin/bin/xterm -display NT-machine:0
and that sort of thing works on all my other machines.  The only thing
I can think of is that I'm being denied access via rsh, but I _have_
put the NT box into /etc/hosts.equiv.  Any ideas?

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

sent using Pegasus Mail - about the only good reason for using Windows