[SunRescue] SS20 (??) is it really?

Chris Conn cconn at abacom.com
Fri Jul 30 08:44:23 CDT 1999

"j. grubman" wrote:

> >   I have used unmatched processors in an mbus machine in the past.  It's not
> > supposed to work, but if both processors have an external cache, it should wor
>
> If it helps any, I'm running an SS20MP w/ one 150 MHz and one 133 MHz RT626
> Hypersparc. Both processors have 512k of external cache. The system runs fine
> under Solaris 2.6 and 7. A friend at Sun tells me that, while it's entirely
> unsupported, mixing different models of the came CPU shouldn't cause problems.
>
> -josh

Hello,

Excuse my ignorane with MP platforms, but does Solaris 2.6 automatically
use the 2nd (or more) processor for regular tasking or does each used
application have to be coded to use a particular/multiple CPUs?

In other words, should I decide to buy another CPU for my SS20, will I
notice a difference with performance in X or normal applications?

Thanks,

Chris