[SunRescue] Speaking of SGI equipment...

David Cantrell (at home) david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Dec 16 18:09:21 CST 1999

On Thu, Dec 16 1999, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, David Cantrell (at home) wrote:
>
> > For home use Irix is excellent, but for a production environment I'm
> > not so sure.  It's ... well, let's be charitable, and say that there's
> > a lot more secure OSes around.
>
> Security is an attribute of a systems administrator, not an operating
> system.  I've run Irix in production just fine.  I still prefer pretty
> much any BSD though...

I meant that it takes a lot more work to secure an Irix installation than it
takes to secure plenty of other 'out-of-the-box' installations.  The only
ones I can think of off the top of my head which were (by default) as
insecure were NT (heh) and SunOS 4.0 on a 386i.  No I'm not going to go into
details, as I've forgotten half the stuff I had to do.  There was a lot
though.

I miss my 386i now that winter has set in :-(

> Give it a shot...I'm running Enlightenment on one of my SGI systems.
Took
> all of five minutes to switch over after getting it built.

I'm not a great fan of Enlightenment, but I'll certainly give twm a shot
(crazedneounabomber that I am) if I can compile the silly thing.  Yeah, I'm
having gcc problems on Irix as well as Solaris :-)

As an aside, SGI wanting UKP700 for an Irix 6.2 CD when I damned well
already have a license is just taking the piss.  Thank $deity for Ebay.

          Still looking for a Microvax and a NeXT box in the UK
  May trade for ... errm ... various bits n' bobs, incl 3" flippy drives