[SunRescue] Booting a Sun3

David Murphy drjolt+sunrescue at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Aug 23 10:14:02 CDT 1999

Hi rescuers,
	I've acquired a Sun-3/60M, along with a Sun 207MB desktop
storage pack (Conner 207MB disk in a 411 case), and am trying to
install SunOS 4.1.1 from sun3arc.krupp.net onto it.

	Unfortunately I've only got version 1.6 of the PROM, and the
only tape drives I've access to are QIC-150 and DAT, so I can't boot
from tape. I attached the disk to another system [1], partitioned the
disk, and tried copying the miniroot to the swap partition as in
section 8.1 of the SunOS installation instructions [2], and tried
booting from that with '>b sd(0,0,1) -sw'. Alas, after a short pause,
and no audible disk activity, I got an error message to the effect of
'SCSI device not responding to selection'. The disk seems fine when
attached to the SPARCbook, and was previously in daily use as the
rootdisk of another system [3]. It was connected to the Sun3 with a
DD-50SA<->HD-50 cable, and was terminated.

	Next, I tried booting from the network - I've reached the
stage where the Sun3 will TFTP a file from the SPARCbook, and will
attempt to boot it. Problem: I've tried feeding it the tpboot, munix,
and miniroot files from the sun3 archive, but without success (various
bus errors and segfaults). My encounters with JumpStart on Solaris 2.x
machines lead me to believe what I really want is an appropriate
inetboot program, but I'm not certain that exists for SunOS 4.x/sun3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 8)

[1] SPARCbook 3GX, running Solaris 2.6
[2] http://sun3arc.krupp.net/install/install.phtml
[3] SPARCstation ELC, SunOS 4.1.4

--
David Murphy - For PGP public key, send mail with Subject: send-pgp-key
DOB: 12th March 1977