[SunRescue] Offerings

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 13 17:23:40 CDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Jonathan Eisch wrote:

> I've got my 20" monitor sitting on top of my SparcStation 5 (pizza box, for those
> of you who haven't seen one.  anyone?).  This is just fine.  I put a relativly
> light 17" monitor on top of a new dell desktop.  This put a few nice cracks in the
> top, and knocked the fan of the p-II.

The funny thing is that when Sun was speccing out the Sparc 1 chassis (to
Frog Design, a neat company) they required that an evenly distributed
200lb weight on the lid be accounted for.  I'll bet anything that PC
makers hold themselves to 1/10th this amount, if that.

I have no doubts whatsoever about being able to step onto just about any
Sun ever made (with the possible exception of the Ultra 5).  I would have
grave misgivings about doing that even on "brand-name" PC's.

-James