[SunRescue] SS10 RAM

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Thu Aug 12 17:30:13 CDT 1999

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 02:49:17PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> The construction quality and accessability are absolutely terrible, and
> the 150 ranks as the worst put-together Sun I have ever maintained, even
> surpassing the Ultra 5/10.

Oh, goodie.  I guess that explains the relatively low price of 'em on the used
market.  I'm in charge of one here, but I just use it for compiling stuff.  I
will be cracking it open soon, though.  Alas.

I'd love an Ultra 1 or 2, though.

> That said, if you never have to open the case, they're not bad boxes.  The
> 250 is dramatically better, though.  My favorite "issue" with the 150 was
> discovering what happens when you do a soft power-off (shutdown -i5) on a
> serial-connected system 3000 miles away with limited operations staff.
> It's not pretty.

We use a Digi box (scsi-attached serial terminal mux deal), and the power got
kicked on it while an admin was applying patches to our 150.  Bad.

The 250 is easy to work on, has good performance, is PCI based, etc.  We've got
a few of 'em, and I like 'em a lot.  The only real problem I have with them is
the inability to use a second SCSI controller on the internal drive bays.

Reagen