[SunRescue] SS10 RAM

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 12 17:35:30 CDT 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Reagen Ward wrote:

> Oh, goodie.  I guess that explains the relatively low price of 'em on the used
> market.  I'm in charge of one here, but I just use it for compiling stuff.  I
> will be cracking it open soon, though.  Alas.

Here was what Sun learned from the 150: styrofoam is _not_ useful as a
load-bearing structure.  The inside of a 150 looks like someone shoved in
a foam blow-packer hose and turned it on.  Like an HP 712, but much much
worse.

> I'd love an Ultra 1 or 2, though.

Agreed, terrific boxes (especially the U2).  My AXi is a screamer, but
there was no way I could approach the construction quality of the U2.

> We use a Digi box (scsi-attached serial terminal mux deal), and the power got
> kicked on it while an admin was applying patches to our 150.  Bad.

Ah, but did it come back up again?  Soft power-off a 150 and you have no
choice but to find a Sun type-5 keyboard, hook it up, and press the
power-on button.  Ergh.  Bad when it's on a serial console.
Doubleplus-bad when it's located across the country with an skeleton
operations crew.

-James