[SunRescue] SunOS 3.5 install

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 17 13:49:09 CDT 1999

> The tarball on sun3arc is from the tapes that I have.  I made the
> tarball using the 4.1.1 tarball as a template, and uploaded it for Heiko
> to put on the archive.  It is possible that the dd commands needed a
> different block size.  I ran tcopy on the tape, but it does not report
> anything about the block size.
>
> Am I correct that you were able to copy mini-UNIX to the swap partition
> and boot the mini-UNIX?  If so, then at least that much of the tarball
> appears to be correct.  Maybe the root and usr (and other) tar files are
> not correct due to the block sizes not being what it wants.

I did some poking around in the tarballs.  See the setup tarball.

The tarball read block size seems to be defaulted to 20, in the scripts.
The copy, diag, and miniroot read block size is 126, in the scripts (MAX?).
I did not see what the tpboot was.   The copyright probably was 1 block.

It exits status 13 if it returns nonzero from dd|tar of any of the
tape files.

My guess is that the thing has incorrect block sizes and does not
return zero on that condition, and it is thus misreading the files
in some way.

That still may or may not answer why the boot is not written, unless
the file is read incorrectly from the tape, when the miniroot is read in.

Bob