Fa: So: La: Ti: Do: [SunRescue] Offerings

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 16 15:50:48 CDT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 apotter at icsa.net wrote:

> On the subject of 9-tracks, is there (was there?) such a critter as a 9-track
> with a scsi interface, or were they all something else.
>
> If there is such a critter, I'd sure like to "rescue" one......

Yes.  HP sold several, the most famous being the Kennedy front-loader
drive.  It was about the size of a Sparc 1 but a foot high with a hinged
door in the front.  You opened it up, slid the reel in, and it would
autoload (most of the time).  Sun resold them with Sun skins and label
back in the early 90's.

They're rare, unfortunately, and resellers love to snap them up.  I
haven't seen one in at least a year.

-James