[SunRescue] Offerings

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 16 13:39:58 CDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Kent Rankin wrote:

>     Hey, I'm eighteen and sell workstation and HPC gear.  I know the
> feeling.
> However, in this field, there is always more than enough money to handle
> things
> when you apply yourself, and age doesn't matter, so get cracking.  =)

Exactly.  I got heavily into workstation h/w about 8 years ago and have
spent less in total than most of my friends who went on PC upgrade-mania,
even though I have much neater stuff.  I didn't have much money, but I
looked out for good deals and kept buying low and selling high.  There's
enough slack in workstation market pricing that you can do this if you're
sharp.  I'd call myself the workstation equivalent of a "day trader".  :-)

>     However, like many of the people here, I'm just a fiend.  <grin>  I've
> been
> around nicer gear too much, so I consider HIPPI in my home to not be too far
> out.
> Currently even looking into raised flooring in an apartment that I'm
> preparing to
> lease.  =)  Already have my quote on PRI access, too.

Nifty.  I used to run FDDI at home, but once I got my AXi it was actually
cheaper to go to switched 100baseT than to get a supported PCI FDDI card.
HIPPI would be fun, but I'm waiting for my friend at Myricom to get me a
few Myrinet cards for some _real_ speed.  :-)

What's the story on raised flooring?  I've seen several places advertise
very easy noninvasive installation, but I don't know how far to believe
them.  I'd gladly lose a foot or two in height in my "computer room" to
simplify cable management.

-James