[SunRescue] IPX/Linux/or?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 13 15:44:42 CDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, BSD Bob wrote:

> Anyone have any feel for how usable a 4/370 deskside machine would be
> as a home server?  There was one of those on a pallet, in surplus, today,
> but I am waiting for the price to drop (50% per week), until it fits
> my beerbellie budget.  It looked like the backplane was full, but there
> was one scsi cable hanging off the back, and the monitor and keyboard
> were nowhere to be seen.  Other than the front plastic door being broken

It was probably used over a serial console unless you see a monitor port.
Framebuffers could either be P4 bus (off of the mainboard) or regular VME
(off of the backplane).  The P4 cg6 is quite snappy.

I used a 4/330 (same machine, smaller chassis) as my main home server from
'95-'97.  It's similar in performance to a Sparc 1+ or IPC but seems to
hold up better under load and can take more memory.  It will eat its
weight in electricity every month and is loud.  Get it if you're into that
kind of thing.  :-)

> on one hinge where the rivets had separated, it looked in fair to  good
> shape.  What would be the expected internal drives on a 4/370?

Probably Seagate Wren-IV's, 5.25" FH 327MB (formatted capacity).  Later
ones usually had Maxtor/Micropolis 669MB.

-James