[geeks] Cheap Processing Threads

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue Mar 19 15:30:55 CDT 2019

On 3/19/19 4:15 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Ha! My frugality has come around and bit me in the arse.
>
> After literal decades of building computers for the first time I've put one
> together where the CPU has no integrated graphics, so I'll have to add that to
> my build.
>
> Darn it!
>
> Well, luckily I have an older but suitable discrete graphics card on the
> shelf.
>
> Now I know why my carefully constructed system didn't boot up on first
> power-up...
>
> Oh well, Live and learn, and never assume...

Frankly I have always tried to avoid building systems using boards with
integrated graphics.  Possibly it's no longer a concern, but on a *LOT*
of early boards, the required shared-memory partition was *extremely*
problematic and resulted in a horribly unstable system.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net