[geeks] New POWER9 motherboard coming out...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Feb 10 16:23:07 CST 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
> On 08/02/2019 03:02, Michael Parson wrote:
>> Yes, but IBM is also going big on little-endian Linux on POWER. I was
>> at IBM and on the internal call when they announced it.B  There was a
>> LOT of "WTF?" on the internal chat during that call.
>
> _As far as I can tell_, and as a Talos II user, most or all of IBM's
> engineering and marketing effort is going into LE.
>
>> In any case... This might be the motherboard I need to get for the
>> Checkmate 1500 Plus case I backed on Kickstarter:
>>
>> https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/
>
> Whoa!  This is some seriously cool case and I will check it out in more
> detail if I get enough disposable income again.
>
> The videos make the options mainboard, CPU, and PSU options seem
> constrained.  Especially as far as things like choosing the right
> components for cooling and noise are concerned.

It's designed for micro & mini mainboards, though Amiga 500 & 1200
boards will also fit.

There is also a spot to mount a Raspberry Pi.

He has another project that will allow for a Pi to be a
co-processor/accelerator for an Amiga, if that's the route you want to
go.

> Don't you think the POWER9 might be too loud and hot?  Does there exist
> an appropriate water-cooling option?

The PC he built around his demo case is a watercooled unit that he uses
for doing VR stuff.  I imagine it would just require an appropriate CPU
mount for the watercooling.

Right now, my main concern is the cost of the Power9 board & bits to
make it run... Still not sure I want to drop that much on a hobby
system.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX