[geeks] netgear fan replacement help

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Feb 7 15:02:41 CST 2019

On 2/7/19 3:23 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> just discovered the fan in my netgear fs524 has started howling.  it's
> been living next to the dsl modem and demarc in my unheated basement
> for several years but the recent bitter cold may have affected it.
>
> snooping and poking around on the net reveals that it's a 40mm*2 *
> 20mm 5v 7.5-8.0 cfm fan - right?  i'm not sure of the power
> connector though.  can anyone here verify the details?
>
> ebay shows 2 vendors i've never heard of with exact-replacement fans
> for $20, but i'd prefer to buy from newark or digikey if only i knew
> exactly what to order...

Do yourself a favor.  There are magnetic levitation fans to be had in
that size, from Sunon among others.  And the things are silent AF.

I put 40mm Sunons into a Netgear switch of mine about 15 years ago when
its original fans failed.  Standing next to the switch you could barely
hear the fans running.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications