[geeks] advice sought: what to do with Tandy 1100FD laptop?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Mar 31 20:50:01 CDT 2018

So a friend gave me this laptop. It has MSDOS v3.3 plus the (laughable) Tandy DeskMate application suite in ROM. An NEC V20 CPU, which was an Intel clone, runs it.

The floppy needs a rebuild - no problem as I have the pinouts to make the cable to use a newer 1.44 in its place (but it will still use only 720K floppies due to ROM).

Should I gut it, keep the CGA text screen (still crisp and easy on the eyes), and stick a BeagleBoard or Raspberry Pi inside, and buy or fabricate a way to drive the screen?

Should I just restore it to its original condition, except build a larger battery pack to replace the old one (the claim was that it would run for 5 hours on the original batter, thus maybe I can make it run 10 hours)?

What does the list suggest?

Any truly oddball ideas you have?  What would you do with it?

(didn't send to rescue@ since it is not Sun, and not Unix).

Cheers

Patrick